Department of Biotechnology has also performed several activities under the umbrella of MoU between MRIU and Lahti University of Applied Sciences, Finland, which are listed as follows:
- Joint Project on Algal Biofuel:
Dr. Sarita Sachdeva & Dr. Pratibha Prashar accomplished joint project on Algal Biofuel entitled ‘ALGIND’, with Lahti University, Finland in the year 2013-2014. They also visited LUAS, Finland in 26, May- 1st June, 2013 to attend progress presentation seminar and exploring other R&D associations apart from the ongoing project.
- Student’s Dissertation under Student Exchange Programme:
Ms Neha Katyal pursued M.Tech Dissertation project on ‘Algal Biofuels’ with Dr. Silja Kostia, research supervisor and Ms Marika Tikka, co-supervisor at Lahti University, Finland, in 2014. Her area of research was ‘Algae culture in waste water’. She worked on algal cultivation in photobioreactors and different aspects of biofuel production. She also had hands on experience on flow cytometer which is sophisticated equipment for accurate cell counting. She also used the Gas Chromatography mass for spectral data analysis. Further, she got the opportunity to meet students from different parts of the world and experience the work culture in Finland.
- Organization of International Conference in the area of Biofuel:
This conference was organized on 05.11.2012 and was a great success. Seven speakers came from Finland and 173 delegates took advantage of this conference.
- Participation in International Summer School:
A team from Manav Rachna Educational Institutions comprising Dr. Nidhi Didwania (Assistant Professor, MRIU), Meena Kapahi (Associate Professor, MRU)and four students from MRIU (Kritika Sharma (B. Arch.), Garima Ahuja (B. Tech. Biotechnology), Sakshi Taneja (B. Tech. Biotechnology) and Pooja Yadav (M.Sc. Energy and Environment) attended the International Summer School Co-designing Better Urban living and Wellbeing (29th May – 9th June 2017), Lahti University of Applied Sciences, Finland.
The details of participation are as follows:
- Dr. Nidhi Didwania was Invited by LUAS as a visiting lecturer at the summer school. She supervised the student teams from different countries like England, Belgium, Russia, Mexico, USA, Finland and India (MRIU) in the development projects from local work partners as a part of the International Summer School. The 2-week study programme consisted of lectures, presentations, workshops, team work, excursion and writing an article in the summer school publication.
- Dr. Nidhi Didwania also attended International Conference on “Considerations in urban aesthetics Planning, Mobilities and Everyday life” at Lahti University Campus, Aalt-auditorio and Metso meeting room, Niemenkatu 73, Lahti, Finland from 31st May to 2nd June 2017.
- The students attended the International Summer School for two weeks. It offered them a unique opportunity to experience a highly stimulating intellectual environment and to broaden their horizons by attending lectures, workshops, and visiting Helsinki and Enonsari Island as a part of team building process. The students gave presentations about their project and their article and were marked by credits on scale of 5 on behalf of their efforts and performance they showed in the school. All were given certificates on successful accomplishment of the course.