- Heavy Metal Assessment and Remediation, Faridabad
The sector 58 has a large no. of authorised/unauhorised electroplating units employing labour without any precautions/safety measures. A large no. of children are engaged in this sector. The units discharge heavy metal laden waste water to the nearby pits without any treatment. This has hazardous implications on the underground water supply, soil, human health, etc.
- Challenges due to Contamination:
- Discharge of waste water affecting underground water supplies and soil
- Employment of child labour, women
- Non-adoption of safety measures
- Hazardous impacts on the human health and environment
Preliminary sampling has been done; the data indicate heavy metal contamination of
soil and water.
- Ionospheric Response to Solar Flares and Geomagnetic Storms and Related Phenomena
The current research interest of Atmospheric group is Seismo-Ionospheric coupling, using the data obtained by RPA payload aboard on SROSS-C2 satellite launched by ISRO, Banglore on May 4, 1994 by ASLVE-D4 rocket in the orbit of 430 to 630 km from the Earth surface. The results indicate that the average electron temperature is enhanced during the occurrence of earthquakes by 1.2 -1.5 times and this enhancement for ion temperature ranged from 1.1-1.3 times over the normal day’s average temperatures.
- Development of Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Acidic Medium for Industrial Uses
Two categories of compounds are in analysis phase for inhibitor properties
- Dyes as inhibitors: These inhibitors can be used in textile industries.
- Polymer as corrosion inhibitors: These inhibitors will be useful in overhead condensers in refinery industries and in pickling industries.
- Water Quality: Monitoring, Assessment & Remediation
- Monitoring and assessment of drinking water quality parameters of Faridabad and adjoining areas and comparison with WHO standards.
- Identification & selection/development of low-cost water purification materials.
- Design, development of low-cost water purification system along with its feasibility study.
- Empowering the local people to build and sell these products in their local community.